Admitted Master’s Students
Congratulations on your offer of admission to the Schar School of Policy and Government! It is a pleasure to welcome you to George Mason University. We look forward to your arrival and to assisting you with your academic advising and career development needs.
Below, you will find:
- First steps for new Schar School graduate students
- Information on registering for your first classes
- Registration for new student orientation
- Ways to get acquainted with Mason and the Schar School
Step 1. First Steps for New the Schar School Graduate Students
First, you need to set up your accounts. Please review the Checklist for new Graduate Students to understand what is required of you prior to course registration. You should complete these items as soon as possible. Most of these items will need to be completed before you will be able to sign up for your classes.
Step 2. Registering for Your First Semester
Please review the Course Registration Information sheet so you know what classes to take in your first semester. The academic advising team is here to help you as you prepare to begin coursework. You will find the name of your academic advisor in the document, and you are encouraged to contact your advisor to introduce yourself and ask any questions you may have pertaining to course selection and registration. Please note that you will not be able to register for classes until:
- You have confirmed your enrollment online through the application Self-Service Center.
- You have activated your Mason NetID and password. You will find details about account activation in the checklist above. (Please note that you will need to wait 1-2 business days after confirming your enrollment online before you can activate your NetID and password.)
Step 3. New Student Orientation
The Schar School New Student Orientation will be held on Saturday, August 26, 2017 on the Arlington Campus in Founders Hall. This program will provide you with important information about the Schar School, the university, and the services you will use throughout your graduate program. Program directors, faculty, student services staff and current students will be available to answer your questions. Orientation is mandatory for incoming degree and certificate students. To register please visit: schar.gmu.edu/orientation. Please note that you will be able to drop off your Immunization Record Form to Student Health Services and take your student ID photo at Orientation.
Step 4. Review General New Student Information
- The Patriot Pass Activation and Registration Instructions document will provide you with step-by-step instructions for activating your Mason NetID and password which will be used for the PatriotWeb registration system. Your prompt activation of your Mason NetID and password is very important so that you will subsequently be able to register for classes in a timely fashion.
- Registration will soon open for the Fall 2017 Professional Development Planning (PDP) Seminar. PDP is an opportunity for first-year Master’s students to connect to academic and career resources within Schar while identifying personal strengths. Over the course of three weeks, participants will develop a plan for academic and professional success that aligns with their time at Mason. All are welcome, but we strongly encourage full-time students and students who have recently completed undergraduate study to register. The PDP Seminar will take place from 1:30-3:30pm on three consecutive Thursdays in February. This is a daytime seminar will not conflict with any courses. Please visit the PDP registration site for more details.
- Learn about your Career Development resources. There is a dedicated staff specifically for the Schar School students to assist with your professional development and job search needs. They offer workshops throughout the year and are always accessible if you would like to make an appointment to review your professional materials or conduct a mock interview.
- Finally, please take some time to get acquainted with Mason and the Schar School. Familiarize yourself with both the Arlington and Fairfax Campus Maps. Review all the items in the Student Services Reference Sheet to make sure you have appropriate contact information for all campus entities, including your Program Director. For housing information, please visit the Housing and Residence Life page at housing.gmu.edu, Off Campus housing at och.gmu.edu, and consult the following Arlington Housing Guide.
If you have questions about any items above, please contact your academic advisor, who will be happy to assist you as you begin your program of study. We look forward to meeting you at New Student Orientation.