- Innovations in Policy and System Management Competition (Submission Deadline: October 1, 2018)
- Innovations in Transportation Products and Services (Submission Deadline: TBA Fall 2018)
Outside the Box IP permission and release form
Cameron Rian Hays Outside the Box Competition Submission Entry Form
Rules and Guidelines
- Participants can enter as individuals or as part of a team.
- Entries must represent original work and ideas of the participants.
- Entrants must be willing to present their winning ideas at the Competition Finals events and grant permission for the release of pictures, images, and descriptions related to the competition. Participants retain all rights to their presented ideas.
- Entries must be submitted by the deadlines posted on the competition website http://outsidethebox.gmu.edu/ .
Submit Your Proposal
Write or create a 2,000 word essay, power point presentation, video or other media form to convey a viable and actionable plan that may be implemented to solve a current transportation or transportation policy problem. A maximum of five pictures or illustrations may be included to enrich your presentation. Video entries must not exceed 10 minutes in length. Entries will be reviewed by an executive committee of professors, executives, entrepreneurs and public servants, all of whom are interested and distinguished members of the transportation policy community.
Submissions may be made by individuals or teams. There is no limit to the number of members on a team. Teams and individuals are welcome to submit more than one complete proposal, and individuals may participate on more than one team. Final submissions must be made in English.
Papers and proposals will undergo two rounds of review. The competition entries will be pre-screened by the competition committee of professors, executives, entrepreneurs and public servants, all of whom are interested and distinguished members of the transportation policy community. The competition committee will select the 7 finalists to be forwarded to the second round of review by a Blue-Ribbon Panel of transportation policy experts and specialists from government and industry. The Blue-Ribbon Panel will select the top 3 Finalists to present at the Competition. They will also award the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prizes at the conclusion of the Competition.
Examples of significant transportation challenges include:
- Funding for transportation facility and services
- Fostering public/private sector collaboration
- Developing creative new transportation modalities
- Encouraging multimodal solutions
- Reducing community and environmental impacts of transportation facilities and services
- Enhancing quality of life through access to jobs, medical care, housing, recreation, etc.
- Expanding opportunities for disadvantaged populations
- Tackling challenges arising from demographic changes and generational shifts
Please do not feel limited by the suggestions above. These are examples. Innovation and “outside the box” thinking are strongly encouraged!
Each submission must include a completed entry form (submitted online at the link below) and signed IP release (each member of a team must sign a release) (submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
with HAYS COMPETITION in the subject line). Please submit your proposal via the upload link at the bottom of the online entry form. Large files may be submitted via Dropbox or other file sharing mechanism to email@example.com
Attend the Competition Finals
All entrants and interested community members are invited to attend the Cameron Rian Hays Outside the Box Competition Finals, which will take place on November 27, 2018 for the Policy and System Management Competition and March/April 2019 for the Innovations in Products and Services competition. Each of the competition finalists will present their proposals to a Blue Ribbon Panel of experts and the competition audience. Audiences will be treated to a keynote presentation by a leading transportation policymaker or professional while judges decide on the competition winners, which will be announced at the event conclusion.