Consider these factors first:
After the last day to drop a class, withdrawing from any class requires the approval of the dean and is only allowed for nonacademic reasons.
For a non-academic reason (examples: a family or medical emergency), to submit a withdrawal request for consideration, please follow these steps:
- Complete the student request form found at the bottom of this web page here.
- Provide a written, detailed explanation of why your withdrawal request has been made after the published deadlines and with extenuating circumstances
- Attach formal documentation supporting your reason
Please note that non-academic withdrawals are typically allowed only for full semesters at a time, i.e., students must withdraw from all courses. However, exceptional circumstances may be considered. For example, requests due to special medical conditions must be supported with documentation. The documentation must show why the condition has affected single course(s) specifically instead of a full semester withdrawal.
Submit your package to the Assistant Dean for review. This request must be made before the last day of class.
Dr. Ann Ludwick
Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Academic Affairs
Schar School of Policy and Government
George Mason University
4400 University Drive – 3F4
Fairfax, VA 22030
Your paperwork will be accepted for review by way of any of these methods:
- Scan/email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax to: (703) 993-1399
- Hand deliver to the office located in Robinson Hall Room A201
- Mail to the above address