Accelerated Master's Programs: How to Apply

How To Apply

Complete the Online Application

  1. You may apply to become a Bachelor’s/Accelerated Master’s student when you have earned between 60 - 100 credit hours. Be sure to review the deadlines and requirements for your program, keeping in mind that some programs have specific requirements for their applicants.
  2. Complete the Bachelor's Accelerated Master's Online Application ONLY if you meet the requirements, including having earned AT LEAST 60 credits.  Your application will be automatically cancelled if you do not meet these requirements.
  3.  When your application is complete and all supplemental materials are received, your application will be reviewed.

**Please note that you MUST have at least 60 credits in order for your application to be processed and forwarded for review. Some programs have unique application requirements. Please refer to your application portal for a complete list of your personalized requirements, based on your program of interest.**


The following supplemental materials are required to be considered for the accelerated master’s programs. Please note that the political science program has an additional requirement.*



Biodefense, MS
Global Commerce and Policy, MA
International Security, MA
Organization Development and
Knowledge Management, MS
Public Administration, MPA
Public Policy, MPP

Political Science, MA

Goals statement
(750-1,000 word written statement 
of your goals and interest in the program)


One letter of recommendation
(Required to be from a Schar
Undergraduate Advisor; email or
for more details)

Writing sample*


After Applying

Your patience is appreciated while we process and review your application. You can check your status at any time in your application portal. If any items are missing or incomplete, you will see this reflected here.

When your application is complete, and all supplemental materials are received, please allow us 2-4 weeks for an application decision to be rendered. Once a decision is made, you will be able to review it in your application portal.

Course Registration

If admitted, you will be able to enroll in the approved coursework after completion of 75 undergraduate credits via Patriot Web. Once you complete 75 credits, your student status will be listed as “Junior Plus”. See table of approved coursework below.

Please note that approval of specific courses does not guarantee that a specific course section will be open or offered at the time of registration. For advising guidance, you can contact a graduate academic advisor based on your program. The list of advisors can be found here.

Classes Eligible for BAM Students

Master of Public Administration (up to 18 credits) PUAD 502, POGO 511*, PUAD 520, PUAD 540, one of the methods core courses, one of the finance/budgeting/accounting core courses
Master of Public Policy (up to 15 credits) PUBP 500, PUBP 503, POGO 511*, ITRN 503, POGO 611 or POGO 646
Global Commerce and Policy, MA (up to 18 credits) ITRN 500, ITRN 503, ITRN 504, ITRN 501, ITRN 602, ITRN 603, ITRN 605
Organization Development and Knowledge Management, MS (12 credits) ODKM 600, ODKM 605, ODKM 610, and ODKM 621
Political Science, MA (up to 18 credits) GOVT 500, GOVT 510, GOVT 520, GOVT 530, GOVT 540, POGO 511
Biodefense, MS (up to 15 credits) GOVT 500, BIOD 604, BIOD 605, BIOD 620, BIOD 609
International Security, MA (up to 12 credits) GOVT 540, POGO 511* or ITRN 501, PUBP 504, PUBP 506

*Students must first pass a Statistical Screening Exam before being allowed to register for this course.

Transition from Undergraduate to Matriculated Graduate Status

In order to transition to a matriculated Master’s student, you must complete and submit the Bachelors/Accelerated Master's Transition Form at the same time you file your Intent to Graduate from your Bachelor’s degree.

To complete and submit the form:

  1. Fill out your advanced standing and reserve graduate credit hours; Sign your form;
  2. Obtain the signature of your undergraduate advisor;
  3. Obtain the signature of your graduate advisor who will also forward the form for processing

If, upon submission of your BS-MS Transition form, you are deemed to have met all necessary requirements, you will receive an offer of admission to your approved Master’s Program and will be granted advanced standing, permitting your graduate credits to be applied toward your Master’s degree.

If you have not met all necessary requirements, you will receive notification that your BS-MS transition has not been approved by the Office of Graduate Admissions.

Upon completion of all requirements for the bachelor’s degree, accelerated students will be fully admitted to the master’s degree program for the fall or spring term (not summer) following bachelor’s degree conferral. The policies below govern accelerated matriculation into graduate degree status:

  • Students must pursue their master’s degree in the semester immediately following their bachelor’s degree conferral.
  • Students admitted to an accelerated master’s program must continue satisfactory performance in undergraduate course work in order to progress to matriculated graduate status. A grade of B or better must be earned in all undergraduate course taken after application to an accelerated master’s program.
  • Students must earn a B or better in all graduate coursework taken while in accelerated status.
  • Students must complete a minimum of 18 credits after matriculation into master’s degree status.

After transition, regardless of advanced standing, you will be assessed graduate tuition and will be subject to all graduate academic policies as detailed in the University Catalog.

Questions? Contact your undergraduate advisor or the Schar School Graduate Admissions at