Congratulations on your offer of admission to the Schar School of Policy and Government! It is a pleasure to welcome you to George Mason University. We look forward to your arrival and to assisting you with your academic advising and career development needs.
Below, you will find:
- First steps for new Schar School graduate students
- Information on registering for your first classes
- Registration for new student orientation
- Ways to get acquainted with Mason and the Schar School
Step 1. First Steps for New the Schar School Graduate Students
First, you need to set up your accounts. Please review the Checklist for New Graduate Students to understand what is required of you prior to course registration. You should complete these items as soon as possible. Most of these items will need to be completed before you will be able to sign up for your classes.
Step 2. Registering for Your First Semester
Please review the Course Registration Information sheet so you know what classes to take in your first semester. The Patriot Pass Activation and Registration Instructions document will provide you with step-by-step instructions for activating your Mason NetID and password which will be used for the PatriotWeb registration system. Your prompt activation of your Mason NetID and password is very important so that you will subsequently be able to register for classes in a timely fashion.
The academic advising team is here to help you as you prepare to begin coursework. You will find the name of your academic advisor in the document, and you are encouraged to contact your advisor to introduce yourself and ask any questions you may have pertaining to course selection and registration. Please note that you will not be able to register for classes until:
- You have confirmed your enrollment online through your application portal.
- You have activated your Mason NetID and password. You will find details about account activation in the checklist above. (Please note that you will need to wait 1-2 business days after confirming your enrollment online before you can activate your NetID and password.)
Once you have completed the above steps, you can log on to PatriotWeb to register for classes. A Student Guide to PatriotWeb is located here.
Step 3. New Student Orientation
The Schar School New Student Orientation will be held on Saturday, January 18, 2020 on the Arlington Campus in Van Metre Hall. This program will provide you with important information about the Schar School, the university, and the services you will use throughout your graduate program. Program directors, faculty, student services staff and current students will be available to answer your questions. Orientation is mandatory for incoming degree and certificate students. To register please visit: schar.gmu.edu/orientation. Please note that you will be able to drop off your Immunization Record Form to Student Health Services and take your student ID photo at Orientation.
Step 4. Review General New Student Information
- Please take a look at the New Master's Student FAQ's for general information about getting started.
- Learn about your Career Development resources. There is a dedicated staff specifically for the Schar School students to assist with your professional development and job search needs. They offer workshops throughout the year and are always accessible if you would like to make an appointment to review your professional materials or conduct a mock interview.
- Please take some time to get acquainted with Mason and the Schar School. Familiarize yourself with both the Arlington and Fairfax Campus Maps. Review all the items in the Student Services Reference Sheet to make sure you have appropriate contact information for all campus entities, including your Program Director. For housing information, please visit the Housing and Residence Life page at housing.gmu.edu. Off Campus housing information can be found at och.gmu.edu, the Mason Arlington Graduate Housing at the Rixey, and the following Arlington Housing Guide. For directions to the Arlington Campus orientation parking please see: Arlington Campus Directions
- Once you have accepted admission to the Schar School you will gain access to the Newly Admitted Master’s Students Blackboard page. The Blackboard portal is an interactive tool that will help you get organized for orientation and prepare you for graduate study at Mason. Please log into Blackboard (http://mymason.gmu.edu), click ‘Organizations’ in the top right corner, then ‘Incoming Schar Master’s Students’ to view the announcements, important documents and to participate in the discussions.
- If you have questions about any items above, please contact your academic advisor, who will be happy to assist you as you begin your program of study. We look forward to meeting you at New Student Orientation.