Congratulations on your offer of admission to the Schar School of Policy and Government! It is a pleasure to welcome you to George Mason University. We look forward to your arrival and to assisting you with your academic advising and career development needs.
Below, you will find:
- First steps for new Schar School students
- Information on registering for your classes
- Registration for new student orientation
- Ways to get acquainted with Mason and the Schar School
Step 1. First Steps for New Schar school Graduate Students
First, you need to set up your accounts. Please review the Checklist for New ND Graduate Students to understand what is required of you prior to course registration. You should complete these items as soon as possible. Most of these items will need to be completed before you will be able to sign up for your classes.
Step 2. Registering for Your First Semester
The academic advising team is here to help you as you prepare to begin coursework. Please note that you will not be able to register for classes until you have activated your Mason NetID and password. You will find details about account activation in the checklist above. The Patriot Pass Activation and Registration Instructions document will provide you with step-by-step instructions for activating your Mason NetID and password which will be used for the PatriotWeb registration system. Your prompt activation of your Mason NetID and password is very important so that you will subsequently be able to register for classes in a timely fashion.
Many new non-degree students received a course contract with their notification of admission. This contract outlines which courses students must take in order to move from non-degree status to degree-seeking status. If you have questions about this contract, please contact the relevant academic advisor, listed below.
If you applied directly for non-degree seeking status, but are planning to move into degree-seeking student status, please review the Course Registration Information sheet for course selection details. You will find the name of the appropriate academic advisor in the aforementioned document, and you are encouraged to contact an advisor to introduce yourself and ask any questions you may have pertaining to course selection and registration.
Step 3. New Student Orientation
The Schar School New Non-Degree Student Orientation will be held on Wednesday, January 15, 2020 from 5:30 – 7:00pm on the Arlington Campus in Van Metre Hall. This program will provide you with important information about the Schar School, the university, and the services you will use during your studies. Orientation is mandatory for incoming students. Please register here.
Once you have completed the above steps, you can log on to PatriotWeb to register for classes. A Student Guide to PatriotWeb is located here.
Step 4. Review General New Student Information
- Please take a look at the New Student FAQs for general information about getting started.
- Please take some time to get acquainted with Mason and the Schar School. Familiarize yourself with both the Arlington and Fairfax Campus Maps. Review all the items in the Student Services Reference Sheet to make sure you have appropriate contact information for all campus entities, including your Program Director. For housing information, please visit the Housing and Residence Life page at housing.gmu.edu. Off Campus housing information can be found at och.gmu.edu and the Arlington Housing Guide. For directions to the Arlington Campus orientation parking please see: Arlington Campus Directions
- Please note that you will need to make time to drop off your Immunization Record Form to Student Health Services and take your student ID photo during the first weeks of class.
If you have questions about any items above, please contact an academic advisor, who will be happy to assist you as you begin your program of study. We look forward to meeting you at New Student Orientation.