POLITICAL SCIENCE PHD APPLICATION DEADLINE AND DETAILS
FALL 2020 ENTRY:
Application Deadline: Application closed on December 15, 2019.
FALL 2021 ENTRY:
Application Deadline: December 15, 2020
FALL 2022 ENTRY:
Interested in starting your PhD in August of 2022? Please fill out our interest form to be notified when the Fall 2022 application is available.
Program Start Date: Admission is for the Fall semester only. No applications are accepted for the Spring semester.
Part-Time Vs. Full-Time Status: Doctoral applicants may apply for either full-time or part-time study.
Funding and Fellowships: Graduate Research Assistantships (GRA) and scholarships, fellowships, and tuition waivers are primarily available for full-time PhD students and are offered only in the fall term for the upcoming academic year. If interested in a GRA position, please indicate this on your application.
POLITICAL SCIENCE PHD ADMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS
- Graduate application and fee
- Unofficial transcripts from all previous institutions attended in the U.S. For international institutions, transcripts may be unofficial but should include cumulative transcripts, degree certificate, individual semester marksheets (if applicable), and diploma (if applicable).
- A current resume
- Three letters of recommendation from professional or academic contacts. (It is strongly recommended that at least one letter is from academia)
- Statement of professional goals (usually two pages)
- Writing sample (approximately 10-25 pages in length) such as a technical report, professional publication, or term or seminar paper.
- GRE scores (taken within five years prior to date of application)
Applicants with international academic credentials must also provide:
- Proof of English proficiency: either TOEFL, IELTS, or Pearson Test of English. Please refer to the university’s English Proficiency standard.
- An official international transcript evaluation from an independent evaluation agency approved by NACES or AACRAO. We require a course-by-course evaluation and most include the U.S. equivalency. The WES-ICAP evaluations from the World Evaluation Services, Inc. can serve as official transcripts in addition to an acceptable evaluation. Mason offers internal evaluations at applicants request, in their application, for no additional charge.
Where to submit application and materials:
Application materials should be uploaded directly to the application portal in the online application system
- Test scores must be official and come directly from the testing center using school code 5827
- For documents that need to be mailed to the university, please use the following address:
Office of Graduate Admissions
4400 University Drive, MS 4C8
Fairfax, VA 22030