The political science master's program admits students for both the fall and spring semesters. The following application deadlines are for domestic students. International students (those who have completed an undergraduate or graduate degree outside of the U.S.) are required to apply one month prior to the domestic deadlines.
The Schar School offers a select number of merit-based scholarships for high-achieving students with strong academic credentials. We highly encourage students to apply by our priority applications dates for your specific program. However, we will review applicants who have requested scholarship consideration on a case by case basis throughout the application term.
Priority Application Deadline: February 1
Final Application Deadline: May 1
Priority Application Deadline: November 1
Final Application Deadline: December 1
Bachelor's/Accelerated Master's Program Deadlines
Undergraduate students at George Mason have the opportunity to combine their bachelor's degree with their master's on an accelerated track, reducing the period of time and total cost. Bachelor's/Accelerated Master's (BAM) applicants should follow the same master's application deadlines posted to this page (see above). Please note that the accelerated master's program is for current Mason undergraduate students only. For more information, visit the BAM program page or contact your academic advisor.
- Graduate application and fee*
- 750-1,000 word written statement of your goals and interest in the program
- Current resume
- Unofficial transcripts from all previous institutions attended in the U.S. For international institutions, transcripts may be unofficial but should include cumulative transcripts, degree certificate, individual semester marksheets (if applicable), and diploma (if applicable).
- Two letters of recommendation. At least one recommendation should be from an individual who is qualified to attest to the candidate’s academic potential.
- GRE scores (taken within five years prior to date of applying)
GRE/GMAT test scores are not required for Fall 2020 applicants. Contact the Office of Admissions for any questions.
- Writing Sample (optional, but strongly recommended)
A writing sample is required for Fall 2020 applicants. Contact the Office of Admissions for any questions.
- Additional requirements for applicants with international credentials
*In response to the COVID-19 outbreak, for Fall 2020 applications the application fee has been waived. Applicants who paid the fee previously will not be offered a refund. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org should you have questions.
The Schar School of Policy and Government awards merit-based scholarships based on an applicant's academic achievements.