Senior Leadership Development Seminar: Leading Organizations
A Systems Understanding of Leading Organizations
This seminar helps experienced mid-level and senior managers assess and improve their organization’s overall effectiveness. Learn how to help guide your organization towards excellence during times of unprecedented change, challenge, and expectation. Discover ways to engage employees and foster innovative thinking and action. This seminar provides a “systems” understanding of managing culture and productivity throughout the organization. Through four useful “frames” offering perspectives on organizational issues, leaders learn to recognize, understand, and improve interrelated, vital “systems” at work within their organizations:
- The Structural Frame: organizing and structuring groups and teams
- The Human Resource Frame: tailoring organizations to satisfy human needs, improve human resource management, and build positive interpersonal and group dynamics
- The Political Frame: coping with power and conflict, building coalitions, honing political skills and dealing with internal and external politics
- The Symbolic Frame: shaping a culture that gives purpose and meaning to work; staging organizational performance drama for internal and external audiences; building effective team spirit
Understanding the organization is essential, but it is not enough; leaders need to assess what qualities and competencies they bring, and how they might leverage them to improve organizational performance. Through several assessments, leaders will evaluate their strengths (and how to take advantage of them), as well as the areas in which they feel it necessary to develop additional strengths. They will share challenges and best practices with peers from other agencies and organizations, deepen their understanding of interdependent systems, and make connections for networked governance capable of delivering seamless customer service.
How You Will Benefit
- Enhance your ability as a leader to think comprehensively and multi-dimensionally
- Encourage flexibility with your organization and view opportunities and events from multiple angles
- Try new approaches to managing that can lead to greater organizational efficiency
- Practice collaborative management of workteam cultures
- Create a powerful vision for your organization and set strategies for moving toward its realization
- Forge productive negotiations and defuse wasteful, unproductive conflict
Who Should Attend: Second- and third-line managers (those who typically manage supervisors or other managers) who are seeking to refine and improve the performance of their organizations.