Public Policy, MPP Application Requirements
Applicants to the Master’s in Public Policy degree and certificate programs should meet the following requirements:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited university or college.
- Students may have completed a major in any field, but it is recommended that students have taken basic courses in economics, political science, and statistics.
- A minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.00 (on a 4.0 scale) is preferred.
Fall Admission: May 1
Spring Admission: December 1
Applicants are required to submit the following materials to be considered for admission. All materials must be received before an applicant is reviewed:
- Completed Application for Graduate Study (online).
- Nonrefundable application fee.
- Virginia In-State Tuition Rates Application if claiming entitlement to these rates.
- Upload unofficial transcripts from all previous institutions attended in the U.S.
- Goals statement of 750-1000 words that describes interests and career goals.
- Two letters of recommendation, preferably from recent professors.
- Resume listing employment and volunteer work.
Applicants with international academic credentials should apply 30 days before the program deadline and must also provide:
Internationally educated applicants may supply an official international transcript evaluation from an independent evaluation agency approved by NACES or AACRAO. The WES-ICAP evaluation service includes verified academic credentials as part of the evaluation package. These documents should be sent to:
Office of Graduate Admissions
4400 University Drive, MS 4C8
Fairfax, VA 22030
The Schar School of Policy and Government awards merit-based scholarships based on applicants’ academic credentials. To be considered the Schar School’s merit-based scholarships:
- Applicants must submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE), Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) or Law School Admission Test (LSAT) scores.
- All application materials must be submitted by the scholarship deadlines.