Connecting Regional Leaders
The Schar School's Regional Elected Leaders Initiative (RELI) was created in 2018 to enhance regionalism and support Northern Virginia’s regional elected leaders—General Assembly members, city and town mayors and council members, county supervisors and school board members.
As Northern Virginia grows and faces new challenges, RELI recognizes the value of working across jurisdictional boundaries and levels of government to identify and implement effective and sustainable solutions. RELI provides a variety of programs and events that connect and inform Northern Virginia’s regional leaders from both the public and private sectors.
Through programs and events, RELI helps elected leaders to engage, learn and connect in order to effect positive change for their communities and the Northern Virginia region.
2021 Webinar Series
This year we are offering five policy webinars, on Fridays from 12-1:30pm, as outlined below. For a description of each session, the key questions to be addressed, and confirmed speakers, click below.
- Friday, September 17 - Housing: Strategies for localities that address historic housing segregation patterns in Virginia (Sneak Peak of McGuire Woods’ new report)
- Friday, October 1 - Police Reform: Qualified Immunity, Citizen Review Boards and School Resource Officers
- Friday, October 15 - Transportation: New approaches to Street Design that help Businesses Thrive
- Friday, October 29 – Marijuana Laws: What Happened and What Local Governments Need to Know
- Friday, November 12 — Applying an Equity Lens to budgeting: the Washington Area Boards of Education (WABE) annual report and beyond
SAVE THE DATE!
2021 RELI Annual NOVA Regional Leadership Awards and Dinner
Wednesday, December 1, 2021
See What We Did in 2020
2020 Policy Webinars: Successful policy seminars were held on Transportation, Housing, Economic Development and Climate Action. A summary of the programs and speakers is attached.
2020 Program’s Virtual Awards Dinner: Attendees heard a lively program with Dean Mark Rozell interviewing Senate Majority Leader Dick Saslaw and House Majority Leader Charniele Herring. Regional Leadership awards were presented to Delegate Vivian Watts and Loudoun County Supervisor Matt Letourneau.